Friday, August 6, 2010

What is the best way to control the speed of a 12v, 1.2 amp dc motor?

The motor is out of a variable speed cordless drill but the motor does not turn as slow as I'd like with the built-in speed control trigger. I tried using a standard radioshack potentiometer but burned it up. I'm assuming the problem is the high amps and run of the mill potentiometers can't handle it. I thought about dimmer switches but I understand that's not a viable solution either. Any thoughts? I'm just going to use the motor for a little project I'm working on and wanted to try to do it on the cheap. Thanks in advance.What is the best way to control the speed of a 12v, 1.2 amp dc motor?
Ahh quite a challenge...


I have a train set limited to 3.5 mph. If we glue your motor to it we would effectively control the speed (as long as your looking for 3.5 mph) and this fantastic trick isnt limited to motors we could also apply the same logic to a sock,pet mouse or toothbrush etc if you so desire.What is the best way to control the speed of a 12v, 1.2 amp dc motor?
You need a PWM controller. The drill trigger probably has that, which you might be able to slow down farther.





Another option would be to use a gear unit to reduce speed. The drill will have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment