Friday, August 6, 2010

Can I use a standard dimmer switch to control a 12volt DC fan?

I would like to use a standard wall mount dimmer switch to control one or more 12 volt DC fans. Normal mains voltage is 120 volts but the fans only operate on up to 12 volts. I鈥檓 no electrician but I was hoping to be able to use a standard dimmer switch to control these fans as a 50 watt rheostat will run me $30 and I would need one for each of the three fans I'm operating. The dimmer switches are less expensive and handle more wattage (all three fans at once) but would it work?Can I use a standard dimmer switch to control a 12volt DC fan?
I don't think a dimmer will work properly with a transformer and motor load, they are designed to be used only with resistive loads.





You need an adjustable 12 volt supply.Can I use a standard dimmer switch to control a 12volt DC fan?
No. Dimmers require the AC waveform to control properly. What you may be able to do is feed a transformer with a rectifier giving a 12v output voltage to the fan. Then control the primary drive with the dimmer. You will need to satisfy the minimum and maximum power requirements for the dimmer you use.
I agree, standard dimmers for housing will not work. However, a dial potentiometer (variable resistor) should work because it is cheaper, and is designed to handle DC voltages.





By putting it next to the power supply, the higher the resistance, the slower the motor will turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment